Saturday, October 22, 2011

7 Billion, Really?

Apparently some folks at the United Nations have figured out that around Oct. 31st, the world population will reach 7 billion.  I imagine there were some crazy fun statistical formulas they used to figure that out.  I'm all for some good mathematics, the math geek that I am, but I have this feeling they are are wrong. 

I think we probably reached that point quite a while ago.  With all their sophisticated methods and theories I think they might have missed a few.  Maybe 147 million or so?   That's an estimate of the number of orphans in the world.  Yes some of them probably were counted, but there are an awful lot of them that were not.  Living in garbage dumps, on the streets, and some other horrible places that children should not go much less live in.

God knows exactly how many people there are and exactly how many of them are orphans, living hungry, afraid and alone.